Venture Concept No. 2 for iMobileID
Brittany
Traynor
ENT3003
Venture Concept No. 2
Due:
12/06/17
1. Venture Concept
for iMobileID:
Opportunity:
The need I have identified in this
class is for student ID’s to be made mobile. College students are the
individuals who have this need, and the nature of the need stems from society’s
shift toward electronic items rather than physical items. It also stems from
society’s current desires for convenience.
·
The
changes in the environment are the technological innovations and changes being
seen throughout the world, as well as the idea that most things, including
debit cards, can be mobilized in today’s society.
·
Geographically,
I would probably target a local market, such as students at the University of
Florida or Santa Fe. If my business were to become a success, I would expand to
universities across the state and potentially even across the country.
Demographically, there is really only an age demographic, and that would be
college aged students. There is no specific gender, race, ethnic, or economic
class limitations on my market demographic.
·
Currently,
the need is being met with physical forms of student identification, such as
the Gator1 cards here at UF. I do not believe that the market is exceptionally
loyal to this product, as my product would serve the same function and would
provide more convenience. However, I would not completely eliminate the
physical form of IDs anyway.
·
I
think this opportunity has potential, but is not huge or ground-breaking. I
assume it would be a good business to get me through school and make some extra
cash, but I would not expect my life or career to center around this idea.
·
I
think the window of opportunity for me would be during my time in college, or
shortly after graduation. I think that if I were to wait too long, it would be
harder for me to understand the needs of my market as I will eventually be separated
with them by age. Due to this, the sooner I capitalize on this idea, the
better.
Innovation:
My idea is
incrementally innovative, as it is not a completely new idea. Students ID’s are
obviously already a widely used product; my idea is simply a new form of that
product that is more convenient for users. My idea specifically is a mobile
application, that could be downloaded onto any smartphone, that would have the
user’s student ID synched to it. That way, students could pull out their phone,
and their ID can be viewed or scanned that way. This would make it easier for
students to ensure that they have their IDs with them at all times. I think
this idea is relatively inexpensive to produce and implement, so the
application would not be too expensive, maybe $1.99 0r $2.99 per person. I
would like to have the universities purchase the application is mass volumes,
and incorporate the cost of that into student tuition. The students would not
even feel the difference of the few extra dollars on their hefty tuition costs,
and the application could be downloaded at freshman orientation.
Venture Concept:
My product
will be attractive to my target market as it will provide additional
convenience for them, and it will be in correlation to other technological
trends occurring globally. The market I am targeting is particularly attracted
to technological innovation and change, so I think my product could be very successful.
·
The
market would switch as it would provide them convenience. I do not think it
would be hard to get them to switch because as long as the universities were on
board with the idea, the implementation and use of the product would be a part
of orientation and the overall shift into college. In addition, I am not
eliminating the physical form of ID, so they really have nothing to lose by
using my product as well.
·
Competitors
are makers of physical IDs, and their weakness is that they are not keeping up
with technology changes, so they will fall short.
·
I
would not have a physical store location, but it would be really important for
me to make sure that I advertised this product to universities in such a way
that would convince them to start using my product on their campus. In order to
do this, I would have to provide evidence or reason to believe that this
product is something that students would like and use.
·
If
I were to have a business, it would be rather small. I would need a graphic
designer, as well as people who can build apps, market them, and serve as an
expert in their use.
3 Minor Elements:
·
I
think my most valuable resource will be my access to and understanding of my
target market. This makes it easier for me to tailor my product to them. In
addition, I think it will be hard for others to copy my success as
technological innovation spreads quickly, so I would hopefully sell to many
universities within a short period of time as long as the first one
demonstrates success and convenience.
·
Next,
I would hope to expand the mobile application so that it includes more features
than just a student ID. For example, it would show student activities broken
down my semester, such as swipes into the dining hall, books checked out, game
tickets claimed, bus trips, Flex Bucks, etc.
·
I
think that this venture would be short lived for me, and then I would either
sell it or shut it down once I have sold to many schools and I am graduated and
ready to begin my career. Although I think it is an awesome way to make some
money for a few years while I am single and in school, it is not what I had in
mind for my life career goals.
2. Summary of
Feedback:
The feedback that I received on the
first venture concept assignment was pretty much all positive. The students who
commented said that I included a lot of detail in my assignment, which made it
easy for them to understand each element of my idea and business. One student
agreed that my idea is not particularly innovative, and could most likely be described
as incrementally innovative as it is really an extension or change to current
student IDs. However, after talking to some friends about the idea, they agreed
that my original name for my venture, iGator1, was a little too specific to the
University of Florida, and that I should change that if I want to market my
product to all universities.
3. Changes based
on Feedback:
As I said above, I decided to change
the name of my venture in order to appeal to all universities, not just UF. In
the feedback I received, one student said that they liked the “i” in front of
the venture name, as it makes people think about Apply products and
technological innovation. Due to this, I decided to keep that, and change
Gator1 to MobileID, so that is is appealing to all schools and it is also
descriptive and relevant to the product. I did not think that a fancy name was
needed, I think that a descriptive, simple name will make it easier for people who
have never heard of my venture to understand what it is.
In addition to the name, I also made
a few minor changes to my venture. For example, I slightly tailored the section
talking about what is next, so that it was more fitting to the feedback that I
received. I also changed the way I talked about myself in 5 or 10 years, as
after the “Exit Strategy” assignment, I realized that it is not only okay to
plan on my venture to end at some point, but it is actually normal. I do have
other goals for my career, so I decided to say that I would most likely not be
changing or innovating my product in 5 or 10 years as I would most likely be
selling it or closing it down.

Hey Brittany,
ReplyDeleteYou did an awesome job on your venture concept post. I would agree with the feedback that you received that the idea is not particularly innovative but still could be a wonderful idea. I think the change you made to "MobileID" is an excellent idea because then you can expand the distribution of the product to other universities. Finally, I liked how you touched on the fact that you would sell the product or close it down. Wonderful job!
Hi Brittany! Great job on your venture concept number 2 post. You really took your feedback into account and changed it. I thought your first venture concept was great and this one was even better. I really like how you added the "i" in front of your company name, and how you changed it to be able to be open to all universities. Great job!
ReplyDeleteHey Brittany,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your venture number two post, great job! I think I was the one who provided the feedback about it being incrementally innovative! It's an awesome idea though and changing the name to suit a larger market was a great idea. This will enable all college students to relate to the product, not just gators. Keep working on this idea!!
Hi Brittany,
ReplyDeleteGreat job on your second venture concept! I liked that you decided to change the name of your venture based on the target market. Being able to recognize that even smaller aspects of a venture can have stronger impacts on their success is super important. I agree that the name MobileID would help your business reach other universities aside from the University of Florida.
Hey Brittany!
ReplyDeleteGood job on you Venture Concept No.2 post! I really enjoyed reading this post and seeing how you've been evolving throughout the semester and how you got here. I really like your idea and I believe you're idea will make a good impact to society. I think this idea has very good potential in the future, once again really good job!
Sincerely,
Costanza Tremante