Reading Reflection No. 2
Brittany
Traynor
ENT3003
Reading Reflection No. 2
Due:
11/03/17
The Art of Social
Media: Power Tips for Power Users, by Guy Kawasaki
1. The
general theme of this book was providing helpful information about how to
successfully and effectively use social media, for both personal and company/advertising
related purposes. I chose to read this book because my product is a mobile
application and part of my reasoning for people wanting to use my product is to
keep up with technological innovation, and I think social media is a huge
component of current technological innovation. Each chapter of this book
covered different aspects of social media, such as optimizing your profile,
responding to comments, and integrating blogging with social media. This
information will most likely change the reader’s outlook and use of social
media for the better.
2. I think
that the book enhanced what we are learning in this class because ultimately,
this class is preparing us for potentially creating our own product or company.
One of the first and most important steps in this process is marketing that
product or spreading awareness about that new company, and encouraging people
to buy what you are selling. In today’s society, one of the most efficient ways
to market a product or idea is to utilize social media. However, with that
said, presence on or use of social media can have negative results or
repercussions if not used or monitored properly. This book helps the reader to
better understand how to use social media to most effectively sell a product or
at least get other people’s attention. For example, the book mentions that it
is important to provide new content often, so that people do not grow bored. It
is also important to monitor and respond to all comments (if possible), even
negative ones. These pieces of information, although seemingly obvious to some,
are essential in ensuring that you/your company’s presence on social media is
positive and effective.
3. Based
on the content of this book, I would create an assignment that required my
students to create a page on a certain platform of social media, such as
Facebook or Twitter. This page would be advertising some sort of potential
product or service, and each student would have the same product or service.
The student’s goal for this assignment would be to get the most shares (or retweets),
and since they would all have the same product/service, their only way to get
more shares than each other is the way they present this idea on social media. Kawasaki
states that in the social world, re-sharing is the sincerest form of flattery.
When creating a product or service that you want to sell, you want as many people
to know about it as possible, so making sure that people are sharing your post
is essential for marketing purposes. The book provided tips, followed up by
statistics to prove the best methods of ensuring your material will be shared.
For example, creating short, trendy hashtags, as well as adding a photo to each
post, increases the chances of people reading it or sharing it. I would want to
see my students get creative with their post, so I would want them to utilize
these tips to try to get the most shares.
I would probably offer some sort of incentive, such as 5 extra credit
points, to the individual who got the most shares.
4. I think
the biggest “aha” moment for me when reading the book was reading about the
“content monster”. The author emphasizes the importance of creating and
curating new content frequently, to keep people interested. The author even
went as far as to say that you are not using social media correctly is you are
not pissing people off. This made me really think, because I personally tend to
avoid controversial topics on my own social media pages. However, I often find
that reading about controversial topics and observing each commenter’s opinion
is the most interesting type of content on social media. This content would not
be there if everyone were like me and avoided engaging in controversial content
on social media. I guess what I learned is that you have to be careful when
choosing content, because you want it to be interesting but not to the extent
that it will anger people and turn them away from your page.
Hi Brittany! Your book sounded awesome. This sounded like a really beneficial book for someone growing up in a society where your social media is now your personal brand. I am on the softball team here at UF, and we have a team rule that we cannot post or like anything on Twitter or Instagram. Therefore, we cannot create a personal brand for the public during our time here. While it definitely has so many benefits and keeps us out of trouble, it is going to be extremely difficult to build up that brand once we graduate. Great post!
ReplyDeleteHey Brittany!
ReplyDeleteThis book sounds great and also good job on you post! It looks like this book helps people grow specially in a society we are in now. I am currently working in a company and I am in charge of their social media posts and reading this post made me realize a lot of things. There is obviously a difference between personal and professional social media posts. Nowadays social media takes over so many of our lives and it has become something that society has taken over. Once again good job on your post!
Hey Brittany,
ReplyDeleteI think it was smart of you to read a book that was related to your idea. I wish I would have chose this book and like I said before I am also doing an application for my Idea too. Using Facebook and other social media apps would definitely be a great way to get your product recognition. I thought the making people made on social idea thing was surprising too, but I tend to keep to myself on social media too. Great Job on your post!