Celebrating Failure

Brittany Traynor
ENT3003 Celebrating Failure
Due: 12/01/17

1. One of my most recent failures was in one of my classes here at UF. The class was one that I took as what I thought would be an interesting, and hopefully rather easy elective. I think that part of the reason that I experienced failure in this class was because I underestimated how much studying I would need to put into it. I went into the first of two exams thinking I was pretty prepared, when in reality I was not as I got a 53% on that exam. Since there were only two exams (there was also a small paper and a research paper that was worth as much as a final exam), I was debating whether or not I should drop the class. I did not know whether or not I could recover, especially since I was taking 16 credit hours and my life was basically being consumed by Business Finance.
With a little bit of extra effort, in the form of better study groups with other members of the class as well as visits to the professor’s office hours for further assistance and clarification on the material, I was able to pull a B minus in the class. Despite the fact that I wish I did better on that first exam, I was very proud of myself for deciding not to drop the class and pulling off a decent grade in the course.
                                         
2. This experience taught me many things. One of those things was to not take off more than you can chew. I was overwhelmed with how much course work I had at the time and realized I would exceed better if I took on a little less at a time and put more effort into what I was doing. In addition, I learned that it is worth it to decide not to give up. The remainder of last semester was hard as I had to maintain my other grades as well as bring that one up from an F to a B minus. However, it was worth it as I feel like I challenged myself and experienced success in the end.


3. I think that failure is something that is very important to every individual. You learn a lot from it and it shapes the way you approach situations in the future. For example, I would not again assume that a class might be fun or easy just because it is related to material that I am interested in. In addition, I would not quit on a class that I had a chance to recover in as I now learned that the extra effort pays off and it is possible to turn a situation around completely. I think this class has taught me that failure it okay, and that it is beneficial to reflect upon failure and make it a positive learning experience. In addition, failure is something that everyone experiences at one point or another, so it is not something that we should be embarrassed or ashamed of.

Comments

  1. Hey Brittany,

    Awesome job on your celebrating failure post. I think its awesome that even though you got a really bad grade on your first exam you were able to turn it around and get a B minus. What an achievement. I also think that not giving up is really important, because yes failure can be hard to deal with, but showing strength in adversity shows that we can achieve anything!! Great job on your post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brittany!

    Great job on your celebrating failure post. I had a similar thing happen to me this semester. It is so easy to think that we might want to drop the course when we are not going to get the exact grade you want. But, you really turned it around and got a decent grade. It takes a lot of hard work but it very gratifying. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Brittany!

    I really enjoyed reading your celebrating failure assignment. While reading your assignment I could relate to it a lot, because on one of the assignments for this class I forgot to submit the link to the assignment that I had done. I lost two points plus a point for the third section to make a comment that I also submitted. I agree that failure is sometimes hard to take and it takes time, but its also very important to grow as a person. Once again great job!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Figuring Out Buyer Behavior No. 2