Brittany
Traynor
Identifying
Opportunities in Economic & Regulatory Trends
Due:
09/22/17
Economic Opportunities
1.
Cryptocurrency Investment
·
I
think that this opportunity exists for several reasons. First of all, the
markets for the major cryptocurrencies, such as Bitcoin, Ethereum, and
Litecoin, are doing extremely well right now. This makes them smart
investments. In addition, I believe that eventually, cryptocurrencies will be
extremely valuable, and probably the main source of currency used in major
international businesses. They are easier to use and trade from country to
country, as opposed to having to transfer currencies in exchanges.
·
Anyone
who wants to invest their money can be a customer for this opportunity, in
addition to large businesses who wish to switch to electronic currencies for
the purpose of saving time from having to transfer traditional currencies.
·
This
opportunity is relatively challenging in my opinion, only because it requires
some level of knowledge and understanding of the system. Cryptocurrencies are
not yet something that many people even know much about, so in order to invest
intelligently, they would have to do a little bit of research. However, I think
that with time, they will grow and become more talked about, and also grow to
be more valuable. This makes it smart to invest sooner than later.
·
I
found this opportunity because I know several people who have invested in
cryptocurrencies and made a lot of money. I believe that with all of the
advancements in technology we have seen in recent years, it is important to
follow and understand many trends and movements toward electronic currencies.
2. Investors
Target Property Tax Deadbeats
·
Whenever
individuals do not pay their property taxes, other individuals have the
opportunity to bid on the chance to pay their property taxes. This is
beneficial to those bidders because the property owner will then have to pay
them back, plus interest. I believe the bidding usually starts around 18%, and
goes down as bidders offer lower interest rates. This gives the property owner
more time to pay what they owe, and it allows the bidder with the opportunity
to make a profit.
·
A
typical customer of this opportunity is anyone who will seek the opportunity,
and who is financially stable enough to pay the property taxes of someone else
in order to make a profit down the line.
·
I
think this opportunity is relatively challenging to take advantage of because
you would have to go out of your way to find someone who is far behind on
paying their property taxes, and then be willing to reduce the potential amount
of interest that you will collect in order to win the bid.
·
I
found this opportunity through online research and heard briefly about it
through a friend who is a real estate minor and has more extensive knowledge on
the topic.
Regulatory Opportunities
3. Housing
Markey Boom Due to Tax Reduction
·
I
believe that this opportunity exists because right now, due to recent events
and regulatory changes and implementations, it is relatively inexpensive to own
a house. With tax changes and mortgage interest reductions, the amount of
income that is taxed is reduced, and this in turn lowers the cost of owning a
home.
·
The
typical customer to take advantage of this opportunity is virtually any current
or prospective home owner. Specifically, anyone who has lower income and
struggles to own a home and make mortgage payments will benefit from this
regulatory change.
·
I
think that this opportunity is relatively easy to exploit because just about
any taxpayer or home owner will be affected.
·
I
found this opportunity because I have been following the news lately and my
friend is a Real Estate Minor and talks about this stuff relatively frequently,
so I decided to do some further independent research on it.
4. Legalization
of Marijuana
·
I
think that this is a regulatory opportunity because with the rising change in
laws regarding recreational and medicinal use of marijuana, there is great
investment opportunity that is created as a result. According to this Forbes
article, marijuana stocks are up 147% so far just this year. This demonstrates
that opportunity lies in this newly legal investment environment.
·
Anyone
can take this opportunity by investing in marijuana stocks. As long as you know
enough about the stock market to feel comfortable making an investment, this
opportunity can be capitalized on.
·
I
would say that this opportunity is relatively easy to take advantage of because
it is simply investment; however, some level of knowledge and comfort within
the stock market is essential.
·
I
came across this opportunity because I am a finance major and I often follow
trends in stock, and with marijuana legalization being such a up and coming
topic of conversation or issue, I had heard that marijuana stock was doing well
and I did further research.
ey Brittany,
ReplyDeleteYour post for this assignment was very interesting because it covered a range of topics and opportunities. Some of the opportunities were simpler than others such as the legalization of marijuana, and others were more challenging like the cryptocurrency investment. That one particularly interested me because it’s something that I’ve never really thought of and it was cool to learn a little bit about it.
Hey Brittany,
ReplyDeleteI thoroughly enjoyed reading your post for this assignment. I think you identified some important economic and regulatory trends that are very impactful to American society. I think your first trend that you identified, about cryptocurrency investment is a really interesting topic, with lots of opportunity there. I also enjoyed your last regulatory trend about the legalization of marijuana. Overall, great post!