Brittany
Traynor
ENT3003
Forming an Opportunity Belief
Due:
09/08/17
I believe an opportunity that exists
is better training for Walmart employees, as I have noticed that customer
service at virtually every Walmart is subpar. Employees do not offer much help
at all, and when you ask them for help they often do not even know how to help
you. I feel that the tasks that they have are not too challenging, and they
should know how to navigate customers through the store and direct them to store
items at the very least.
Almost anyone can have this need as
Walmart is a store that many people shop in. Anyone who goes to Walmart and
seeks assistance from one of the employees will most likely feel this need as I
have virtually never encountered a helpful employee in any of the store
locations I have been to. I feel that this need has possibly always existed, as
Walmart has been around for a long time, but it is gradually getting worse as
Walmarts are expanding to Super Walmarts. With this change, more products are
being added to the stores, the locations of certain items in the stores are
being changed, and the volume of people shopping in the store is increasing.
All of these factors make shopping at Walmart a little bit more challenging,
and therefore employee assistance is in higher demand. I think that with all of
the innovations and improvements in Walmart stores nationwide, the expectations
for employees are being raised and not met. I would say that I am about 75%
sure that this need exists, as Walmart prides itself on being a relatively
inexpensive, convenient store to shop in. Although the prices are fair and
corresponding to their mission, their service and therefore convenience is not.
I interviewed 3 people who shop at
Walmart. One was a classmate of mine who does not go to Walmart as often but
has been before, one was a friend of mine who shops at Walmart frequently, and
one was a friend of my parents. My classmate who does not frequently shop at
Walmart said that he had one recent negative experience that stuck out to him.
He said that he did not necessarily always recognize the need for better
training in Walmart employees, but that he has never liked shopping at Walmart
and after his recent experience there he was extremely disappointed in their employees’
performance. He was looking to buy his sister an inexpensive instant camera for
her birthday, and he went to Walmart to get one. When he got to the technology
section, there was not even an employee present for that department. He asked a
different employee to call the technology representative, and it took a while
for him to actually be helped by an employee from that section. When he finally
got help and picked the camera he wanted, he asked which film went with it and
the employee didn’t even know. My classmate ended up figuring it out on his own
but he was frustrated and dissatisfied with the service he received.
My friend who shops at Walmart often
did not have as specific of an experience, but she said that he has noticed on
many occasions that customer service quality is lacking. She said that after
her Walmart became a Super Walmart, many of the items in the store were moved
around. On certain occasions, she would run in for a quick item and ask an
employee where she could find it, and they were just as clueless as she was.
She said that now she just looks for things herself and does not even bother
asking an employee because it is not even worth it to her. If the employees had
any training in learning the different departments in the store, it did not
show. She felt that at a minimum, they should know what items are carried and
where those items are located within the store.
My family friend said that he has
shopped at Walmart many times throughout his life, and has noticed that the
service has never really been great. He said that he personally takes notice to
the fact that in certain stores, employees will approach customers and ask if
they are finding everything okay. Similarly, stores like Publix have employees
that will almost always ask you if you found everything you were looking for at
check out. Walmart, however, if different because you often have to ask
employees for help. They do not appear to be trained to walk around and assure
that customers are finding everything they are shopping for. This is
frustrating because it demonstrates that the employees should have better
training.
After interviewing three people, I
realize that other people feel the way I do about shopping at Walmart. I
personally shop there often, and I love the store but feel the customer service
is a major turnoff. After speaking to these individuals, I also learned how
large of an impact can be made from one seemingly small experience. For my
classmate who does not normally go to Walmart, he was even more turned off because
of one specific employee who was not great at his job. Had that employee been
simply present at his/her department, or helpful in showing my classmate which
film goes with each camera, my classmate probably would not have such a
negative view toward Walmart. I think that enhancing the training curriculum
for employees of Walmart could make the shopping experience there more pleasant
for the customer, which would be better for the profitability of the company.
I think that much of my original
opportunity is still there. I think that many people can agree that customer
service can make or break a shopping experience, and therefore companies should
always strive to make their customer service the best that it can be. Walmart
is obviously a huge, successful company, so it is not like this need is urgent
for the sake of the company’s success. However, if there truly are many people
who have had negative experiences with employees at Walmart, or at least just
taken notice to the fact that the employees are typically not particularly
friendly or eager to help the customer, then something should be done to change
that. I did not really adapt my original opportunity in this situation because
the people I interviewed seemed to agree with me overall, but I do think that
it is absolutely necessary to edit or adapt opportunities based on customer
feedback. It would be hard for the opportunity or idea to lead to success if
most people did not agree with it. I believe that typically, an opportunity or
idea can be altered to best fit customer needs through customer feedback, and
that it why it is so important.
Hey Brittany!
ReplyDeleteYour opportunity post was interesting to read because it’s such a common problem that a lot of people experience. I’ve worked in retail before and my supervisors always stressed how important it was to have good customer service, and to know all of the product in our store. Having that experience really makes me wonder how much Walmart actually trains their employees!
Hey Brittany,
DeleteI really enjoyed reading about your opportunity post. I personally really dislike Walmart because of their terrible service. I had the exact same problem as the first person you interviewed. I went into the technology section looking to buy a new laptop and I couldn't believe there was no representative to inform me about the specifics of each laptop. How can they expect to sell any?? Furthermore, when I ask an employee where a specific product is they take me on a lap around the whole superstore before actually locating it. The question must arise... Do they train their employees?? Great job though!!
Hey Brittany!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading this post! I thought it was interesting because a few years back I remember getting really bad customer service at Walmart and I never went back. Now that I am in Gainesville I found myself at Walmart most of the time and I thought they had gotten better, but seeing this reminded me of the experience that I had. Even thought people may have difference experiences and they might disagree with you there is always going to be a bad case. This is something Walmart as a store has to fix in order to be better to its customers in the future. Once again good job!
Costanza Tremante
Hey Brittany,
ReplyDeleteI think your idea for the opportunity belief was interesting. I think it is an original idea from you that there is an opportunity for better training for Walmart employees. I do not believe that I have had the same experiences that you have had at Walmart but I do think that training for employees, especially those at minimum wage jobs. An increase in employee training could increase customer satisfaction, thus leading to a possible increase in profit.