Brittany Traynor
ENT3003 – Bug List Assignment
Due: 09/01/17

1. My car is a 2004 Honda Accord. This car, like many others, has the automatic lock feature that bothers me.
·      I feel it is there because it is a safety feature, but it is annoying because I have gotten locked out of my car multiple times.

2. The 2004 Honda Accord also has a touch screen that controls the radio and air conditioning, and this screen takes about 20-25 seconds to activate once the car is turned on. This bugs me because I am impatient and do not want to wait in the heat to turn the air on.
·      I am not sure if it is intentional or not since it is an old car, but I do not see any purpose as to this feature.

3. The Steak & Shake on Southwest 13th Street in Gainesville always has the longest lines and the slowest service. I cannot stand to go there because of this.
·      I guess since it is a college town it could be more crowded than most other Steak & Shake locations because college kids are always looking for cheap, easy food. However, I feel that the employees could demonstrate more of an effort to make the service better.

4. Apple’s IPhone 7 now has one port for both the charger and the aux cord. This is annoying because if you are in the car and want to charge the phone while having it plugged into the aux, you need a splitter cable which is inconvenient.
·      I assume this was done with the intention of making phones more wireless. If the car has the Bluetooth technology, you can play music via Bluetooth and not need the aux cord. In that case, charging the phone while playing music would not be an issue. However, not everyone has that technology in their vehicles yet, so I think this innovation was a little bit premature and annoying.

5. Steak & Shake also puts mustard on their hot dogs by default. If you order one and you don’t want mustard, you have to ask that specifically. I do not like mustard and I always forget to ask for that, so I get annoyed every time I get a hot dog from there.
·      Many people do like mustard on their hot dogs so I assume that is why they do this.

6. Both my TV’s at home and my TV in my apartment require different remotes for different functions. This makes things confusing and inconvenient.
·      Depending on the network or type of TV I guess it needs different remotes, but this should be relatively easy to fix in my opinion.

7. My roommates are very bad at cleaning up after themselves. They always have dishes in the sink and things all over the living room.
·      They are busy so I assume that is why they are not very organized. I am more organized and clean than most people, but I still feel they are a little bit messier than most people.

8. My old car, which was a 1997 Ford Escort, evidentially had a malfunction with the gauge in the car that depicts engine temperature. I once had the engine blow because it overheated (because a hose broke and I did not realize) and I was not made aware of the temperature increase because the gauge was not functioning properly.
·      The car was old and probably needed to be serviced. I assume that is why the needle on the gauge did not move even when the engine was overheating.

9. In addition, my old car had a leak in the radiator fluid tank. Because of this, I always had to carry water or radiator fluid in my car and refill it to prevent the car from overheating.
·      Again, since the car was so old, it had many issues. I understand that, but would still get aggravated every time I had to refill the radiator.

10. I personally cannot stand the chip reader that most department and grocery stores have now. It takes longer, and makes a weird noise at the end which is aggravating and makes me think my card was declined or something went wrong.
·      I believe they are implemented for safety purposes because they make it harder to steal someone’s card or identity.

11. Pop-up laundry baskets never fully stay standing unless they are completely full of dirty clothes. They always look wrinkly like they are going to fall over.
·      They are easy to move around which is convenient for their target market which is college students.

12. Many places such as TJ Maxx, Ross, and Target sell shower caddy’s to hang from the shower head, but all of the ones I have seen there are made of copper or silver and rust quickly.
·      They look nice, and there are options to buy plastic ones, but I feel that all things meant to be in a shower should not be subject to rust in due time.

13. Desk lamps that have vibrant-colored shades bug me. Many of them come in pink or blue or green, and then the light projected from the lamp is tinted that color. When working at my desk, I do not want to be distracted by a colored light.
·      The aesthetic value is the only reason I can think of as to why lamps would be made different colors. I understand it looks cool to have a desk lamp that matches the color theme in the rest of the room, but I think the functional purpose is more important to me so I’d rather have one that is just white.

14. Nail polish that gets watery right away bother me so much. Some of them go badly way before you could dream of using up all of the polish.
·      I assume some of them are made cheap so that lower-class individuals are more encouraged to buy them. However, that clearly makes them lower quality and I personally would rather pay a little bit extra and have a better product.

15. Patterned chairs and seating areas in public places bug me so much because they leave imprints on your legs if you sit on them wearing shorts.
·      The aesthetic values the chair brings to the location is the reason why they have patterns.

16. One thing that bothers me extensively is when girls dye their hair in such a way that its dark on top and then almost blonde at the bottom, but has a distinct line where the dye was used. It looks good when it slowly gets lighter toward the bottom but it looks so fake when it literally looks like they dunked their head into a bucket of blonde hair dye.
·      I do not think the girls intend to do that but rather they might have bad barbers.

17. I use a Britta in my apartment to filter my water, but it empties so fast which is frustrating. I pour about 2 glasses of water before having to refill the Britta, and that is inconvenient.
·      I assume this was designed like this in order to not have the Britta take up too much space in the refrigerator.

18. Almost all computers have a sleep feature which causes the screen to go black after a certain period of time with no computer activity. This is annoying when reading something or taking notes in class and having to keep logging into the computer.
·      I understand that it is designed to save computer battery, and there are settings and applications that can change it. I just get annoyed when it defaults to that or I forget to use the application.

19. The Spotify application (when used from a cell phone) does not allow you to choose what song from the playlist that you listen to. Instead, you have to wait for it to come on through the shuffle feature.
·      This is only the case when you do not have a Spotify subscription, so I assume this is an obvious incentive to purchase a subscription.

20. Another thing that bothers me a lot is when sunglass straps are not even or firm. I have bought multiple pair of sunglasses that would fall down my nose or feel unevenly balanced on my face because of poor manufacturing.
·      I understand that sometimes that can happen with time as the product gets worn out but I have had it happen with new sunglasses before. In that case, I assume it is just cheap and poor manufacturing.



Reflection: This assignment was a little bit challenging because many times I do not even realize when something bothers me. I picked a lot of my “bugs” based off of memory, but I also paid attention to little things throughout my week that would annoy me. I did personally enjoy this assignment because I now realize how important it is to take notice to things that could be made better if you want to have a true entrepreneur mindset.

Comments

  1. Hi Brittany!

    It was interesting for me to read your bug list because there are a few items on here that I can relate to and that I thought about including on my own bug list if I didn’t already. One that stuck out to me was having messy roommates who leave things around. Only one of my roommates does that but because the rest of us are all very clean and diligent about putting our own things away, it’s just more annoying when her stuff is out for long periods of time. I think your bugs are very specific and well thought-out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brittany,

    I really enjoyed reading through your bug list. They were well thought out and I could relate to a lot of them (excluding the ones about nail polish and hair dye!). Your second bug about AC is something I experience all the time. My mustang blasts warm air for at least a couple minutes before getting cold. Your 4th bug is also a problem I deal with, debating whether to charge your phone or listen to music is always a struggle. Bug number 19 used to annoy me so much I caved in and purchased the $5 a month student subscription. I also get frustrated by patterned chairs, comfort over style any day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brittany!
    I enjoyed reading your bug list because many of the things on your list bug me as well. I hate when fast food places take a long time. When I go there I am there for a reason; to get food fast. It is so disappointing when I have to wait a long time and just ends up annoying me more. Pop up laundry baskets are the WORST. I had one in high school and I never will buy one again because they never stand up without being full. The Britta is another thing that annoys me too. It also annoys me how often you need to put a new filter in them. They are expensive and it is such a pain! Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Figuring Out Buyer Behavior No. 2